With winter coming to an end I got myself thinking more and more about my spring detox plan, what to do, when to do it and which plan to follow from the numerous ones I read and learnt about. Most of the detox plans are not easy to perform, they involve a strict water only fasts, avoidance of different foods, raw food detoxes, etc. Great deal of them require additional things to do or drink, like colonics and wheatgrass drinks… The bottom line is they require a plan and persistency to finish them perfectly.
During the last year I experimented a lot and made one day fasts, three days fast, longer fasts, full detox programs, etc. But my absolute favorite still remains the one day juicing fast. It’s so easy, that virtually everybody can do it without the extra drama of the longer ones, doesn’t require a serious plan and still is very effective. It helps you lose 1-2 pounds per day (but this should not be the main reason for doing it!), it’s great detox for the body and it gives your digestive system the so long waited rest at least for a day.
If you’ve never detoxed before, I would also recommend starting with the one day fast once per week at least for 1-2 months to prepare yourself for what’s to come. It is also a great full year detox – one day juicing fast in 7 or 14 days works wonders for your body and health.
So if you are considering making the fast and help your body get rid of some of the nasty thing you ate lately, here are my do’s & don’ts for making it as smooth as possible:
- Start the day with lime water – 1/2 lime squeezed into a glass of warm water. This will help you clean the intestines and mark the beginning of your detox :)
- Pick one fruit or vegetable combination for the day and stick with it. For the winter months choose in season products, like oranges, grapefruits, carrots, etc. My personal favorites – oranges & grapefruits, carrots & apples, carrots & beetroot and the single fruit juices.
- Dilute the juice with some spring water to avoid raising your blood sugar levels.
- Drink only 3 cups of fresh made juices for the day replacing the main meals with them – breakfast, lunch, dinner.
- Don’t forget to drink water too! You body needs at least 6-8 glasses per day.
- It’s best to make the juice right before drinking, but if you can’t do that, just make sure to keep the juice in the fridge at all times.
- Don’t mistaken the fresh juice with the smoothie! The idea is to give your body a rest, so the fibers should stay out of the picture. And yes, I know the fibers are healthy and necessary for you, but the idea behind this fast is to give your digestive system a break.
- During the detox avoid smoking, drinking coffee, black tea, sugar, chocolate, dairy products.
- You can drink lime water and herb teas.
- Make it on a working day, not the weekend. In the weekends you are either at home or out with friends, and will be tempted all the time to eat something. While at work your mind will be busy with different stuff and you won’t even notice the day passing by.
- Plan ahead your evening. Prepare a good movie, a nice book, a distraction. Make sure your fridge is not full with things you love to eat or snack, it will help you big time to empty it in advance! And if you get rid of the empty calorie snacks at home, it will help you to never gain much weight again.
- Don’t make exhausting work-outs during that day in the evening. It will be too much on your system and you might experience unpleasant situations. If you want to exercise – make it in the morning, when you are still fueled with the energy from the previous day.
- Make your one day juicing fast a tradition and repeat it every week. Your body will thank you!