It is a hard one to write, mainly because I never thought I will have to. I haven’t been ill for the last three years and frankly I thought I will never be ill again. No flu, viruses, colds, etc were supposed to get me… because I’m a holistic nutritionist student, I eat healthy, I practically know what I’m doing. But you know what people say “life is what actually happens while you are making plans”. So, life happened to me, I got the flu.
I spent the first two days denying it and doing nothing about it, so it got even worse. On day three all of my muscles were in pain, my throat was killing me and I had a fever. Great. My husband was in the exact same situation, so we spend the day switching beds and feeling powerless. The only thing in my mind during these days was “I don’t want to drink drugs, I don’t want antibiotics, I just want to get better naturally…” Yeah, good luck with that.
Naturally almost never goes with nice and easy. Don’t know why. Doing things “naturally” is harder and slower, and the results may come with some and may never occur with others. Well, it did for us, me and my husband, but I want to warn you – I’m not a doctor, so don’t rely only on my simple steps, consult with your physician first and then:
* Fast. Your body needs all it’s strength to help you get better, so the best thing to do is to go on a small juicing fast.
* Drink lots of water.
* Drink fresh home-made juices packed with vitamins. We used lemons, grapefruits and oranges with 1 teaspoon raw honey, agave or stevia. 3 times per day.
* Drink ehinacea juice extract. It will boost your healing powers, strengthen the immune system and calm your throat. The ehinacea turned out to be a miracle medicine! I love it! It really calmed the pain in my throat within minutes and helped us get better almost immediately. Drink it according the bottle instructions, in our case – 50 drops 3 times per day.
* Drink vitamin C. We all know about the powers of the vitamin C, but how many of us really use it? We drank 500 mg tablets every 2 hours the first day and every 4 hours on the second one. Try, it won’t hurt. The vitamin C is a water soluble vitamin, so the body just throws out what it doesn’t need.
* Prepare the lemon & horseradish mix and take 1 teaspoon in the morning and one in the evening. It helps you get the mucus out. Super helpful and nasty, burns like hell, but hey… I warned you “natural” ain’t gonna be easy :) Peel and grate the horseradish, put it in a small jar and pour lemon juice on top. Mix well and eat.
Well, this is it. It helped us big time. We felt better almost right away, but it took 3 more days to heal completely. And again, I’m not a doctor, so consult with your physician first!