Being healthy is a combination of factors. For me, those are the way we eat, exercise, manage stress and find peace. Today we’ll take a look at what healthy eating really means and on my workshop in the Rodopi mountain, we will discuss it in details. If you haven’t signed yet, hurry up, the house is half full already!
Healthy eating means nourishing the body the best possible way. Yeah, sounds easy, but it is not. And since it is a raw / vegan food blog, let me beat some misunderstandings as a start.
Being a vegan does not mean that you are a healthy eater.
Here, I said it. Now, you can jump and scream at the monitor in front of you, but this is the truth. Most vegans eat totally unhealthy things like white flour and bread, white, brown, etc sugar, white rice, they use trans fats, margarines and all the unhealthy bunch of products that actually makes us ill. You can, of course, be a healthy vegan, just don’t do it on your own, unless you are a trained professional and know exactly how to achieve it.
Being a raw foodist is great.
They eat live, natural food all the time. But let’s face it, nobody can stay on a raw food diet forever and there are still pesticides, herbicides, insecticides, etc chemicals to worry about.
So, where is the truth, the balance, what does a healthy eating means?
- It means eating wholesome, organic, natural foods with an abundance of raw fruits & vegetables and healthy fats (all the recipes you will find here follow the rules).
- It means eating the food as mother nature gave it to us.
- The grains should be whole, the nuts should be raw, the cooking methods should preserve the food (includes sprouting, dehydrating, steaming, boiling at low heat and rarely baking).
- It means finding balance and avoiding the extremes.
How about animal products, you might ask.
The healthy eating does not excludes them, but they are very limited. The basic principle is no more than twice per week and always organic. You can pick the animal product you love the most and eat it occasionally, but not every day, and surely not two or three times daily. Pick wisely and respect Nature when doing so. The animals deserve a normal life, just like we do. They should live out in the open and eat the food they are used to, just like we do.
I don’t eat meat, but it is my personal choice and has nothing to do with the healthy eating. I just hate the idea of killing a living creature so I can satisfy my cravings for a steak or please the palate with a vanishing specie like the tuna fish. I watched “The end of the line” last week and the statistics are monstrous. Do you know, that we, humans, ate 80% of the fish from the seas and oceans? Some fish are so few in numbers that they can’t re-produce themselves anymore. And here is another 80% for the rest – it’s the count of antibiotics produced every year for the animal farms. This is what you get when eating non-organic meat.
The bottom line with animal products is: let the fish be and eat only organic, humanly raised animals no more than twice per week. Or stick with the other option and eat only animal products that don’t require killing the animal to get them, like eggs, cheese, butter… Organic, again.
And finally, here is the Golden rule, the 80 | 20, the saver.
If the food you eat is 80% wholesome, organic and live… the other 20% won’t hurt :) The rule is bullet prove and helps you enjoy the dinners with friends, family and eating out occasionally without looking like a mad man. It’s easy, all you have to do is be careful with what you eat at home and what you bring to your own house. It’s a life saver, isn’t it? :)
[social_media order="facebook, twitter, youtube, pinterest"]