The last couple of days were totally insane, full of emotions, tears of joy, tears of pain, decisions waiting to be made and a happy ending. It was intense. As a start on Easter we spend the day at our village house enjoying the sunny weather and the garden full of tulips, it was amazing and peaceful. A couple of hours later… my mom got a second brain stroke. Today she is fine and we are taking her home from the hospital at noon. She can walk, she can talk and even smile, we are happy again :)
Thankfully she is also willing to listen and embrace the healthy living lifestyle with a majority of raw vegan food in her diet, healthy fats and an easy exercise routine. I do believe that with our help she will be as good as new soon.
To end the days of sorrow we decided to make a little celebration yesterday with my niece and my brother’s wife. It was a simple dinner with a healthy raw pie, green salad, berries & nuts dessert and a bottle of red wine. Prepared with the help of my niece Alina, it’s so great to have some help in the kitchen! The pie ended up pretty delicious, but a little bit too moist for my taste. I had no time to dehydrate the base, so I just left it in the fridge for a couple of hours to harden. It did harden enough to be served, but was not crunchy at all. So if you are making this pie, do dehydrate the base for 8-10 hours to create a crunchy base with a creamy filling, it will be divine.
raw pie base
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
1. Soak the almonds for 10 hours or overnight and peel them.
2. Soak the cashews for 2-3 hours.
3. Blend everything together until nice and creamy, but not too liquid. Using the S knife it should take 3-4 minutes.
4. Spread the base in small pie forms or in a big one and dehydrate for 8-10 hours.
raw pie filling
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 1 avocado
- 1 small lime juiced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1. Cut the greens with a knife, don’t blend them!
2. Smash the avocado with a fork and mix it with the lime juice.
3. Mix the avocado and the greens, add salt to taste.
4. Pour the mixture over the pie base and garnish with cherry tomatoes.
5. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast right before serving.
Time for preparation: 1 hour. Serves 4.